Friday, February 16, 2007

Research incentives

PR research is often everyone least favorite section of the campaigns process. No one really wants to spend hours over a computer or book reading through for information. Unfortunately it is an important part of the process, that can not be overlooked.

Lucky for me, I am a history nerd that does not really mind the research section, but few agree with me. Most describe the process as extremely boring. So why do we torture ourselves?

Well without the research a campaign would lack focus. It might be brilliant and inventive, but probably miss its mark. It is hard to aim without a focus. Research gives us that focus. We must understand the past, the mission, and the current attitudes to know where the campaign should aim.

With nine other people on my team, the research section went pretty smoothly. We all took one section and then came together to discuss. I spent a few hours staring at tax codes, but nothing compared to the hours I would have spent alone.

When I enter the "real world" I may not have a team to work with. I will then spend extreme amounts of time studying myself; because it is important. I guess at least in that one respect college will never end.

No comments: