Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Why Campaigns?

The study of PR can be entertaining, interesting, fulfilling, and frustrating. As a student any actual practice is limited but can be the highlight of any academic career. It can also be the most stressful experience of those 4 (or more) years within the hallowed halls. With few resources, limited time and a mix of people, my process could go either way.

However I look at it, the practice will be essential in learning how PR really works. The book and lectures can teach me what PR should be. My professors can be mentors and examples, as well as teacher; but without hands-on experience it is just words in my head and a lot of sample writing.

As students in this field we need both. In fact without the knowledge taken from books and lectures, the hands-on experience would be blind . However without the campaign experience our first jobs might be blind as well.

At the University of Georgia we are lucky to be given the chance to learn both ways. Throughout this semester my journey will go up and down, but the experience gained will be impossible to replace.

No comments: